Thursday, December 14, 2006

Marie-Theres Kappeler



Dear Dorothea

I’m pleased that you will be our special guest Dear Dorothea

I’m pleased that you will be our special guest in the English class next Tuesday. Illya told us that you and she look very similar. Will we mix you up?

I’d like to introduce me briefly. My name is Marie-Theres and I work as a teacher in Emmenbrücke at the Krauer, where your grandson Dorian goes to school. I have lived in Emmen since 1980, originally I am from the eastern part of Switzerland. I’m 49, married and have two sons, 22 and 23 years old.

At the moment I’m busy with the preparation for my travel to Great Britain, where I’m going to stay for six weeks to improve my English, and the following voyage to Ethiopia where I’ m visiting different water and education projects. That’s why there are many things to be done at school and at home before I leave on the 27th of Dezember.

And now, what I’d like to ask you.

About American Christmas
Is cooking a turkey and the traditional side dish actually so popular in most families? Are there other traditional rituals connected with the dinner? Are there special traditional Christmas biscuits or cakes as the Mailänderli and Zimtsterne in Switzerland? Can you give us a recipe?

About getting older
In Switzerland men and woman get the AHV when they are about 63/65 years old (it’s changing at the moment). If they have an additional pension, they have some financial safety, if not, many of them live in poverty. Is there in the States something similar official pension from the state or is it all on private insurance?

About prejudice
As you certainly know, Swiss people have often general prejudice against American people in general. What say the American about the European (I don’t think the Swiss are specially mentioned)? And what do you think, could we learn from each other?


I’m looking forward to meeting you next Tuesday

Yours sincerely

Marie-Theres

No comments: