Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ideas for this week

Even though there are no lessons this week, I thought I'd give you some ideas of what you could do.

You could write a review of a film, book, etc, and put it on the blog. Then comment on what others have written about it (I'm sure you had time to do at least a little bit of reading or found time to watch a film!) Here you could specifically work on comparing, contrasting, agreeing and disagreeing. There is also a register transfer involved since the review is in a different style than the comments would be. Play around with the language, make it expressive!

Here's another idea. Some of you have already sent me youtube videos, which I gladly put on the blog (it's quite easy - just take the coding that says 'embed' and copy it into the post). Then you can write about why you chose it, maybe summarize quickly, and then the others should comment on it! (I'm still waiting for comments on my free hug video!)

You can even make a Spingdoo message and paste the link into a post in the blog.

What I'm trying to do is to stay active, communicate and help keep the blog alive!
I also hope that you will continue to use the blog even after the course is over. So many wonderful classes end and then that IS the end. It would be cgreat to keep sharing, maybe even sharing personal blogs - and it's a great way to keep up your English!

So I'll start.
I saw Pirates of the Carribean 3 with one of my sons.
It was quite fun to watch. After having read the reviews I was expecting a bore of a show, but, in fact, it was an entertaining evening.
Jack Sparrow's band of pirates has set out to save him from the end of the world with the help of a rather voodoo-istic woman with black teeth, and the help of Pirate Barbaros, against whom Jack fought in the first film (nothing personal, I guess). They need him in order to win the fight against the really evil in this world- the British Armada led by a cold-hearted man - the real villian of the film
The obscure division of personality which poor Sparrow had to endure was, depending on your point of view, full of depth and philosophy, or just simply obscure. The ending has the makings of yet another Pirates film. Who else has seen this film? How do you think it compares to the others? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

4 comments:

Valentina said...

I saw this film last monday. The time passed very quickly and I found the story amusing. What I liked the most was the music and of course the way how Jack Sparrow was acted by Jonny Depp.

Illya said...

Hi Valentina
He is always fun to watch. In fact, I read that Johnny Depp has a hard time saying good-bye to Jack Sparrow, so maybe we'll get Pirates 4 someday in the future. Maybe with an eccentric Orlando Bloom - it must be hard working 10 years on a ship to bring the dead safely to shore. It's sure to rub off!!!

Titus Bürgisser said...

Hi Illya

I couldn't see the film myself, but my youngest son David has already been to the cinema together with some friends.

You asked me yesterday about my blog.
So I wrote A new post today, reporting about the survival training I attended two weeks ago. You can have a look at my blog and view some pictures. It's almost a writing task...
www.blogger.com-survivaloutdoor

Have a nice day
Titus

Anonymous said...

Hello All,
The end of the course is very close so I want to let you all know I am wishing each and every one of you good luck on the exam. As you well know, test anxiety can make you forget what you know. Take deep breaths and consider it a chance to show off!

Good Luck! And watch the hug video. It was really quite fun.

Dorothea