Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Greetings from Cambridge


What do we usually know about Cambridge? Of course, that there is an University, which sets the norm for the CAE.


Cambridge people are very proud of their University and its reputation indeed. And they love the various colleges and their now famous former fellows: Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton and Oliver Cromwell are only a few names of them. The about thirty, partly huge, colleges set the atmosphere of the centre of this town, sometimes I feel like being in a Harry Potter film.


But there are real people as well. My slightly eccentric host family and Charles the cat, more or less boring teachers, interested classmates, very friendly bus drivers, talkative guards and people sitting in a tea shop, chatting.


What I never had expected from Cambridge is that it is a cycling city. Cycle lanes and signs everywhere. I have hired a bicycle on my very first day here and have taken the great challenge: Driving on the left-hand side. Each crossroads is a new brain gym. Which side I should look first on? But I have read that breaking the routine has a positive impact on ones brain ;-)!


What do we usually not know about Cambridge? In Cambridge was the first official football pitch ever drawn and here have been written down the official football rules for the first time as well. I’m sure, that’s why Cambridge is still well known…


Regards from Britain

Marie-Theres

5 comments:

Valentina said...

Dear Marie-Theres

I hope you enjoy your stay in Cambridge. I will start my stay in Bournemouth in two weeks. So I wonder how the weather is? You surely know that in Switzerland it has snowed.

Best wishes
Valentina

nicole said...

hello marie-theres

hope you're well in england! we had english tonight once more ... we're focusing on the speaking part at the moment. this shouldn't be a problem for you, i guess!
i only know these kind of pictures from amsterdam which is also a very nice city!

enjoy your time

best wishes

nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie-Theres

your little report from England was interesting to read - what a beautiful life without cooking, making the dishes, cleaning the flat...
We had a winter without snow - no that's not true, we have not enough snow for buildung a snowman...
Best wishes
agi

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie-Theres
It's snowing all the time! How is the weather in England?
I hope you enjoy your stay. I'm looking foreward to the carneval holiday and I'm really happy that the snow is falling as we go skiing to Rigi with our school next week.
Have a nice time
Patricia

Anonymous said...

Dear Marie - Theres
What a beautiful saturday morning - the sun is shining, the mountains are covered with snow... and I enjoy my first free day since...
We have carneval holidays - and you?
Where are you know? What about your language skills?
I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.
We missed you.
Best wishes
agi