Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Summary 24th October

Since I failed to designate someone to write a summary, and since quite a few participants were missing or had to leave early, I've put myself in charge for this week.

First, I wrote down 2 words which should always be spelled correctly as of now!!!
another (1 word) and
being from to be (no relation to the buzzing bees!)

We went over some letter writing language as well. I will start a wiki page and you may, of course, add to it. - Formal letters

After going over the task and information for a letter to the editor of a newspaper (pages 21-22)it was decided that the folowing information was necessary - a correction of the information and a request to rewrite the article in the newspaper. There was, in fact, a letter already written, but much too informal, so it needs to be rewritten as well - as homework, of course :-)

Next there was negotiation of what 5 things should be put into a time capsule. For this different ways of expressing agreement, disagreement, and everything in between were given (I'll see if I can make another wiki page for that too). Here are just a few:

Oh, absolutely!!! I see your point, but ... Are you sure about that?
We see eye to eye on that. Yes, but.... I don't really see how ...

Time flew; the break, too. Listening came and went, then we talked about past tenses.

past simple- not bound to time (which is why they often have time phrases); used for statements and facts relating events that are over and done. I arrived home late yesterday.- the present simple is basically the same, just not in the past . I get home late on Mondays.


continuous times show duration ~~~~~~ and can be interrupted by shorter actions (the continuous supplies the time frame for these. I was watching TV.
I was enjoying the show when the dog attacked the cable and ruined the TV.

Present perfect - Up to or relating to another time, often the present. It could imply a possibility for the future.
I've never gone diving before (this is my first time)
I've never been to Asia (but maybe I'll make it some day).
I've just banged my toe (Sh**! that really hurts!)
I've done all my chores. Can I go out now?

Past perfect has the important job of keeping the chronology clear.
If I had known you were coming, I would have baked a cake.
He had never seent that girl before, but he new in an instant that she was the one. but
After he married her, they went to Paris for the honeymoon. (clear chronology- one thing after the other)

More on tenses next week, but you can look at the end of unit 2 to find some revision.

Finally, homework :-)
Finish unit 2, including th writing.
I also gave some homework from a worksheet and the activity book, which we decided to use for the class (okay, I did, but everyone agreed)

For those who couldn't come this week, we are looking forward to seeing you next week (informal, likely and hopefully planned)

Illya

No comments: