Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Communicating

This week we begin a new unit on gathering information. While browsing some of the links I get from various sources, I found this. This text- The Future of Communications - is quite appropriate, and there are many many more texts to read!

First read the story. If you have problems, you can read the abridged story, but try the original. The first exercises work on the basics and then become more and more complex, for example with sequencing.

Your turn is for you to add your own opinion about the topic.
Even better, you can also do this on the blog in the form of a comment.

The article was written at the beginning of 2000. How have things changed since then? What has come true and what hasn't? What is now accepted as normal? What further developements do you expect in this area?

I hope you will take this opportunity to contribute and comment on what others have to say.

7 comments:

Illya said...

yes, and most of it is wireless. I personally feel teh waves when I talk on the phone for a longer period of time, or have my laptop on my lap!

Illya said...

Hmm. It's difficult to describe since I know of no words for the sensation. Perhaps a light vibration that becomes uncomfortable after a while.
On the other hand, the advances in technology are great! Have a look at this description of a modern school:
http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193200296&pgno=1

Anonymous said...

I am surprised to see how fastly our ways to communicate have chanched. It's quite normal to have a cell phone which is small enough to put it in our pocket or to communicate through the internet.
On the other hand one has to state that all these possibilities make us also much more vulnerable.

Anonymous said...

Marie-Theres:

The idea being located and leaded by an sms or a phone call to my cell phone makes me mad. Furthermore, even worse is the thought, that a computer carries out my orders controlled by my brain waves. How will the computer know if I am just thinking about or if I have already decided?

Anonymous said...

It`s curious to hear that our radio well be able to wake us up earlier if there`s a trafficjam on our way to work. We`re on the way that nearly all this predictions will come true. I`m not sure if this is only a positive thing! We`ll have to think less, as our brainwaves are connected. Furthermore, we wouldn`t need to learn language because of the very good translators. However, I think we have to deal with this things carefully as it has as many positiv as negativ effects.

Illya said...

At the worlddidac I was at a speech about how the brain learns. The speaker showed us how the brain will always find something to do - our job is to give it meaningful things to do!

just imagine the world full of people who have brains doing their won thing!!! Not a pretty picture:-P (tongue out)

Titus Bürgisser said...

When I startet working 20 years ago, I said, I would never touch a computer. Now I am working with computers day and night, I send lots of e-mails and I am using my cellphone. So: never say never!
I think, that beside many good things, this enormous technical development made possible, we shouldn't close our eyes in front of the disadvantages and problems it causes. Instead of having more time, we suffer under stress. Instead of communicating, we are producing information. We need innovation, that supports quality of communication and information instead of more quantity and speed. Will the new technology help us to learn this?